I felt such a peace come over me. I thought I would be nervous but all I felt was a relief of the anguish my heart had been in for weeks! I was ready to embrace this moment, these kids and this process. Knowing there would be grief and excitement all at the same time. At first they told us that the children were not there yet and then they took us to another room and there they were! Eliana was glowing and Justus was subdued and we could tell his insides were churning. The foster father was with them as well. We hugs and the reunion was sweet. We got down to business right away and they started having the foster father sign away his guardianship of the children. Mean while Eliana gave us some gifts that they had bought for us. Some Bulgarian rose oil, post card of Bulgaria, playing cards and Bulgaria pens. They also brought a few of the special clothes that Justus had worn as a younger boy for Coden. They won't fit him but they will be a nice keepsake for Justus.
The signing was quite hard for the foster father and we understand that he had these children for 7 years. Then we signed the papers as well.
My hand was not working so well and I forgot my signature the first time I signed! They had me resign because it looked like a different person had signed the second paper. I'm not sure if I was so exhausted or if there was so much excitement in my body that it was forgetting how to sign. However it all got done, the final step of this 3 year long process! Now it was time for the children to say goodbye to their Uncle. I have never witnessed something more heartbreaking! Eliana hugged him but Justus clung to him. They were both crying and yet after a short time the foster father brought him over to Travis and gave Justus to him. A transfer of "fatherhood." It was beautiful, sad and powerful. Taken out of a life with little hope and adopted into a family. Even with salvation, it is hard to let past things go. I saw this picture so clearly in this moment. The grief was raw and it will take time to heal and to move on yet there is so much hope and we will allow those moments of grief to happen. Healing comes after the pain. These sweet kids have plenty of pain but absolutely nothing that our Saviour can't and doesn't want to heal.
My hand was not working so well and I forgot my signature the first time I signed! They had me resign because it looked like a different person had signed the second paper. I'm not sure if I was so exhausted or if there was so much excitement in my body that it was forgetting how to sign. However it all got done, the final step of this 3 year long process! Now it was time for the children to say goodbye to their Uncle. I have never witnessed something more heartbreaking! Eliana hugged him but Justus clung to him. They were both crying and yet after a short time the foster father brought him over to Travis and gave Justus to him. A transfer of "fatherhood." It was beautiful, sad and powerful. Taken out of a life with little hope and adopted into a family. Even with salvation, it is hard to let past things go. I saw this picture so clearly in this moment. The grief was raw and it will take time to heal and to move on yet there is so much hope and we will allow those moments of grief to happen. Healing comes after the pain. These sweet kids have plenty of pain but absolutely nothing that our Saviour can't and doesn't want to heal.
Travis took their one small bag that contained everything they own from the last 12 years and we walked out of the run down social services building with 2 more children and we are so thankful that they are willing to join our family!
I was so excited to read this post! I hope everything is going well. Are you home yet? I'm looking forward to more updates!
ReplyDelete