Sunday, September 12, 2010

Here We Go!

Well, bloging has been on my heart for a while now and I thought that since we are starting our home school journey, now would be a good time to start. Mostly for my own benefit to journal what we are doing and how things are coming along. I have known for a long time that the Lord wanted me to teach my children at home but I just couldn't take the plunge. It was much easier for me to just go along with what everyone else was doing. So the He decided to put some bumps in the road for us in the public school system and tangibly showed us that this is the right path for us. So here I am serving my King with everything I have and all that I don't have. I am completly relying on Jehovah Nissi to fight for me and I know that He is going to come through because His name is Faithful. I truly am planted by the water. It tastes so good!

So we started. Last week was our first week of school and we completed 2 regular days of work. It will take a little while to find our groove but we are on our way. I tend to get a little up tight if we don't get enough done in a morning but I am just going to have to take an extra B12 and chill a little. We are just beginning and productivity will come in it's time.
I have chosen to use Heart of Dakota's Preparing Hearts for His Glory for this year. It is a litriture and history based program. I'm not yet sure if it will be over the kids heads and interest level or if we will have to hold off until next year with it but it ha already helped me to balence my days and give me good ideas. I wanted to start with making an agreement between me and the kids about how we would go about life as we add school to our family day. So we made a Thiessen pact and all signed the bottom of the poster. Then we made our family coat of arms and on Friday made our shields of faith with our family coat of arm in the middle. For Math we are using Horizens and for English we are trying out Rod and Staff. S and B are using A Reason for Writing and J has a printing class on DVD which he really likes. S is learning to type on Dance Mat typing. Her spelling is a fun book with crossword puzzles and such. I am still trying to figure out where B is at with reading and what I need for him. It kind of shocked me that I really don't know what he knows and what he doesn't know!! My goal in the next few weeks is to find out what he learned in grade 1 at school. S will continue in Violin and B has just started guitar lessons and J is going to pick up the violin where we left off in spring. There is much more that I have planned but my brain is starting to slow down and it is off to bed for me. I will have to figure out how to add pics to this blog tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...