I am totally fascinated by adoption. Fascinated that I am adopted by God as his child and that people adopt orphans and save then from a life with very little hope. I feel the tight correlations between adopting and child out of a bleak situation and how God saved me from a life that was lost and dark.
I could spend hours upon hours reading adoption blogs. It brings me to tears every time I read a "Gotcha" day post and seeing children being taken out of their orphanage for the last time!!! Many of them have never seen the outside of those walls or ridden in a car. What a moment of salvation for them. What a leap of faith for families who put the command to care for orphans (James 1:27) before their own comfort and convenience. I just can't look into the face of an orphan and say that I don't care or that I won't do anything. I sit here in my nice comfortable bubble and try not to think too much about the babies crying in cribs where no one has time to pick them up to cuddle or sooth them. Or the special needs child turning 5 who will be transferred to a cold mental institution and left to die just because they have Down Syndrome.
This all feels a little threatening to me because adopting seems like such a HUGH commitment of energy, time ,finances, emotions. I'm sure I will always feel like it is never a good time. I'm sure glad that Jesus didn't have the same excuses when I asked to be adopted and he made the ULTIMATE commitment for me.
Maybe this post is being a bit too vulnurable but this is what the Lord has been stiring in my heart for the last 4 years or so. I continue to pray for orphans, encourage those who are adopting and keep my heart open to the Lord's leading in my (our) lives.
Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12
It is so sad to read about all those children without a place to call home. I found the site for Reece's Rainbow a while back - their fate (if not adopted!) seems especially cruel.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being vulnerable and sharing your heart, Mandy!